Monday, March 1, 2010

Hospital Hill training starts today!

It was a beautiful (read sunny and not frigid) weekend in KC and it felt wonderful to get out for a short run on Saturday. TGO, Pete and I took off for an easy 4 mile run to enjoy the sunshine and stretch our legs. I could definitely tell that being sick took my fitness level with it. I struggled close to the 3 mile mark.

This week starts training for the Hospital Hill Half Marathon. They offer a free training plan and it starts today. I'm hoping it will still be sunny when I get out of afternoon meetings. It's going to be different to be training for a running race instead of a tri, and I'm hoping my ITB and knees are up to the challenge. One of the best parts of this race? It benefits my favorite local charity, Girls on the Run! This race is also the weekend of my sorority reunion, so I'm hoping to get a bunch of those girls out running with me!

The only other race I've already committed to is the WIN for KC Women's Triathlon. In a meeting with WIN's director last week (she's a huge GOTR supporter), I learned that there are only 100 spots left! Registration for the 7/31/10 race opened on Feb. 5 and out of the 800 spots, 700 are already filled! So if you are interested in trying a tri and are a woman, this is the best KC area race to do that! It is such a great atmosphere, very supportive and encouraging, for first timers or old pros. I HIGHLY recommend this race.

I also visited a couple bike shops this weekend. In hopes of finding a fun Indian Creek/Katy Trail / pedal to the grocery store bike, I test rode a couple at Trek. And I would LOVE to find this one used and thus deeply discounted. If anyone has suggestions on finding used hybrids, I would love your ideas!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I love the Girls on the Run program...it's so awesome!

Have you thought about looking on Craigslist for used bikes? I use Craigslist all the time for selling and buying things...it's an awesome site!

Chef Amber Shea said...

I'm running Hospital Hill too, this year's my second time :] I'm also doing Rock the Parkway in two weeks, are you? The rain this weekend is throwing a wrench in Saturday's long run, though!