Saturday, February 20, 2010

Garth Brooks' fever was way better than mine

It started Monday... mild fever and just not feeling great. But I toughed it out to hang out with some of TGO's friends that I wanted to get to know better. If only I had known it was intended to be a guy's night... Woops.

Tuesday and Wednesday I did as much work as I could in the office, but with a good afternoon nap to try to make me feel better. Thursday I stayed home and was semi-productive from my couch. Friday I gave up. No use in trying to work when you feel this crappy.

Though my normal body temperature is a little lower than most, this week I've been averaging 99.0 and got up to 100.1 at one point. There were a few times when I thought I might burst into flames. My ears, neck, back, head, all burning up. Beyond fever and general malaise, I've not been feeling too bad.

Except for the horrific-ness that's been going on with my lips! Yikes. A few weeks ago they were itchy and now its turned into pusy, swollen, red, feel-like-they're-on-fire awfulness. Doctor said it was a cold sore and gave me a prescription strength Abreva-type cream. Not sure if I believe it or not... I'd never had a cold sore before and have no reason to get one now, and everything I've read says they clear themselves up in 2-10 days, but I've been struggling going on 3 weeks now. The stupid cream just made things WAAAAAAY worse, so I gave up on that. And just today realized that Ora-Gel is my new best friend. When something hurts so bad you don't want to move, talk, eat or drink - numbing is the only option.

I thought today was turning to a bit of a recovery, but my temp is still elevated. I know the best thing to do is to rest, but I'm. So. Bored. Out of my mind. You can only watch so many shoulda-been-made-for-tv movies. I mean AMC, TCM and those other movie channels are supposed to play good movies, not crap like "She's the One" and whatever other horrible thing I watched yesterday. So I opted for stopping by Blockbuster on the way home from the pharmacy today. And Michael Jackson, you disappoint me. Sure, the music was good, but the documentary was just boring. I was hoping for some entertainment or some insight into his life or something, but it was just pretty lame.

So I quit movies and moved on to getting caught up on my favorite blogs. And now. DAMN! I just want to go train like the rest of you! I want to have awesome injuries to win Steve in a Speedo's contest. I want to do pushups so I can show up Rockstar Tri Guy. I want to be well enough to go for a tempo run like my Someday Tri friend. And I want to spend time with my man so I have something interesting to write about like Ms. 50 J-Dates.

Why is this so much to ask?! Come on, body, tell me! I will do what you need to get better but for Pete's sake, give me something!!!

2 comments:

jessica said...

oh, I don't doubt that there are awesome coaches in the area at all, I just don't have the budget and probably won't for at least 5 years. I suppose I was just whining :)

Guess I'd better hit the library and read up!

Hope you're feeling better!

Aimee said...

Ohhh...I'm so sorry you're sick. It really sucks to be sick! As much as you want to workout your body needs rest and time to get better. I know it's hard, believe me(I had bronchitis for 3 weeks!), but it's much better to rest then to push it and make things worse. I really hope you feel better soon!