Thursday, January 20, 2011

Trish on the Run

As many of my faithful readers now, I have a warm place in my heart for an organization called Girls on the Run. I'm on the board for our local council, and give a lot of my time to helping the movement grow in KC.
GOTR is a non-profit after school program for girls in grades 3-8. It teaches self-esteem, nutrition, how to deal with bullies, how to be a good friend.... all those intangible and invaluable lessons that young girls today really need. Here's the cool part - GOTR teaches all these things through RUNNING! Each activity involves getting active and getting out of the "girl box" - being yourself and being proud of who you are!

So, really, its pretty much the coolest program ever.

When I did Ironman Wisconsin in 2009, I was part of the Janus Charity Challenge and raised almost $10,000 for GOTR locally. Its time for me to do some more fundraising.... this time through the GOTR Solemates program while running Rock the Parkway Half Marathon on April 2. Last year at this race, it was freezing rain and just awful weather. But I'm not scared, because I'm out there running so other girls can have their opportunity to get out of the girl box themselves. Running did that for me, and I know it can help them!

Here's your opportunites to help these girls too...

1. Donate to the cause! Visit this website and make a donation to Girls on the Run. I've committed to a minimum of $500 by April 2nd, and I need all the help I can get.

2. Become a Solemate yourself! If you want to run Rock the Parkway with me, and raise money for our council -- I promise you won't regret it. Just leave a comment and I'll get you the info on how to get set up!

3. Volunteer to coach the program. The Johnson County Council has doubled in size this spring, so we are in desperate need of more coaches! Its after school two days a week for head coaches, one day a week for assistant coaches, at sites all across the county. I guarantee this will be one of the most meaningful experiences you'll ever have!

2 comments:

RFalkenrath said...

Falkeetriathlon@hotmail.com - I am running the half. Send me info and I might sign up and write article about it on examiner. Thanks!

Stephanie said...

I'm running the Rock the Parkway half for GOTR, too! Such a worthwhile program!